Autonomy as an individual and a mother by finding one’s self

When initially reading the headline “How I Lost 125 pounds: I was going to die young and not be around for my son” in last Thursday’s Friday’s Life & Arts section of the Globe and Mail, (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/how-i-lost-125-pounds-i-wanted-to-become-the-mother-my-son-deserves/article15298943/), I thought I would be reading yet another article about how a mother had been inspired to lose weight by finally caving into the the idealized image of woman and mother. But I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was mama Leigh’s relationship with her 3-year-old son that was the impetus for her 125-pound weight loss.

What was refreshing in this narrative was the mom’s focus on her own experiences without disclosing personal details about her family. Realizing that she was missing out on both fun and quality time with her son because she couldn’t keep up with her active boy, she embarked on the challenge of changing her diet and exercise program. While her motivation for change came from her mothering experience, her empowerment came from making significant changes in her nutritional habits and activity levels, which in the end ensured her autonomy as both an individual and a mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What have we learned about blogging, Facebook, and Cambridge Analytica

I Believe Introductions are in Order : Claire

Hi F! What surprised me most about Blogher 2012?...